Pages

May 2, 2011

long overdue...

Dear friends and readers,
Hello! I'm back!
I apologize for the unforgivably lengthy hiatus on this poor blog. I suppose I can sort it blame it on Tucker.

Yes, that's right! We are now proud puppy parents and this our darling little boy. He is just over 3 months old and we've had him for about a month. He's fabulous and we love him. However, I will never downplay the amount of work a new puppy requires! Here he is having his first bath.
Anyway, enough about the pup and on to craftier things!


While I've been gone, I've still been working on a project or two! Here is a gift I made for my friends for our trip to D.C. (which was fabulous of course). 

 I bought some little metal jewelry pieces from the hobs lobs for a buck thirty-four for a two-pack! Unbelievable! There were varying sizes, but I chose the 12mm to start because I think that small things are cute. So basically these little metal pieces have a pushed in center that is ready to be decorated with whatever you find and like the look of!


The cardboard that the piece came attached to had an "actual size" square printed on it, which served as a perfect template. I traced the template onto the background patterned paper. Then I cut teeny animals out of an old anthro catalog I had lying around. Using Mod Podge, Dimensional magic, I glued the animal to the background, initial stamped it and then pasted it into the metal piece. I filled in the rest with more dimensional magic, which looks cloudy while its drying. **Note: if you have bubbles in the glue, use a toothpick to drag them to the edge and then pop them.

 This one actually had a small bubble, but since its above the mouth of the fish, I still thought it was slightly appropriate! I put a pearl on this one using my jewelry making tools. I think these square ones can also be turned sideways to make a bracelet. I prefer the necklaces myself, but there's always room to experiment.
 If you want to try this at home, you'll need:
Jewelry pieces found at hobs lobs
Old magazines or any sort of miniature pictures
Alphabet stamps, or even chopped up letters from magazines
Mod Podge Dimensional Magic
A little imagination! 

All in all, I really liked the way these turned out, and proceeded to make quite a few more in different styles. I'm still trying to find a way to print high resolution animal pictures on such a teeny scale, but it's proving to be difficult with my resources thus far. If you find a way, don't hesitate to share with the rest of us!

I will take this moment to say I am rededicating myself to this blog and there will not be such a long wait for more splendid things in the future! I'm sorry and I love you all.

Happy crafting!

1 comment: