Pages

June 6, 2011

Easy, Peasy Drink Tags

Life is crazy and busy and beautiful all at once, as per usual, but I am going to continue to strive to keep up these posts! I have been working on a few things lately waiting to be posted. I recently walked about 30 blocks checking out a super neighborhood-wide yard sale in Chicago hoping to find some gems, but alas, it was to no avail.
The good news is, there are a couple of weddings coming along that will hopefully involve some fabulous DIY projects to post.

The first wedding, my friend Beth's, is set for July. And it is going to be fabulous.
The setting: a rustic farm in Oklahoma
The color scheme: turquoise and yellow
The decor scheme: whimsical, country and colorful 
 The first project: adorable drink tags.

The basic set-up for the drinks at the wedding will be something like this: 4 different drinks in large pitchers (like this one that I found at Bed Bath & Beyond) all displayed on the table. We'll put bunting on the edge of the table in turquoise and yellow. Because there will be a variety of drinks, we decided they needed labels! 



 
I created a template on plain paper and after some drawing, folding and redrawing I had an even shape for the signs. This would maybe be easier if you had those tracable shapes they sell for scrap booking. I didn't though, so as usual, I just made it up.
Once I had the shapes cut out, I made up an oval template that would fit nicely. Then I tested out a few sharpie and paint colors. In the end, I went with paint despite the fact that it's more time consuming because the color match was more exact. 

If you have awesome handwriting, you could just go for at this point. I, however, have what has been classified as "boy hand-writing" so I have my own little trick. I either pick a font I love, or find a free one online and download it. Then I type up everything that I need to write and use that to freehand. If you have terrible handwriting and you can't freehand either, try printing your words with colored ink. Do a practice run first though in b&w just in case!
Once everything is pasted together, use a tiny hole punch for punch a hole in each side and string some embroidery floss or thin hemp through, securing the tags to the drink pitchers. Here is how ours turned out!
These are so quick and easy, you could totes throw them together for a casual yard party. Everyone knows that some cutesy decorations can immediately jazz up your average party!

No comments:

Post a Comment